Thursday 7 February 2019

Tweaking

Only 1 month and 27 days to go until sunny Florida..


Ilya and I spend our winter weekends getting little nips for our aviation fix. This started a few weeks ago with a tube of black shoe goo and some foam brushes. The boot skid on both of our Tenax 3 harnesses had worn through and we were looking for a more permanent solution rather than having to buy canvas replacement caps a couple of times per year from Italy. With 3 coats, a full tube, and a steady hand I was able to get mine coated.






The next order of business was to mount the aluminum bracket for the new Flytec 6030 instrument pod that I had ordered. This involved the removal of my wheels to be able to scoot the bracket over another couple of inches closer to the corner and out of the way. I had been flying without wheels for years, but after my surgery and subsequent crash in Canada I flew with them the last couple of seasons for consolation.

I was once told "Use your superior judgement to avoid using your superior skills." I live by that statement and the only use my wheels got before or after that one crash was when I was too lazy to pick my glider up and rolled it around instead. Hopefully that's the only reason they'll be missed..
I had Ilya assist me in getting my glider into the house mainly to do the tuning changes that Steve Pearson had recommended. My glider has always been a bear to turn whenever there was more than 10mph of wind or punchy lift, but I've had instances where it wont respond to my roll or pitch input and will just turn wherever it wants. The smaller gliders have always been stiff, but the fact that I have a mylar top sail and don't weigh anything has compounded the issue to make the glider even more numb.
The pros: I can thermal the bug farts easier than the heavier dudes and my sink rate on glide is typically 180-200fpm.
The cons: I have issues maneuvering in active conditions and get crushed on glide. *putt putt putt*

So to remedy this, I shaved my tip wands 3/16" to bag the ends a little. The handling should improve noticeably.
The sprogs go tight for my lighter weight around 1/2 VG to the point where I can't physically pull it anymore. I lowered the sprogs 1.5 turns to improve the handling, especially with the VG on.
As a disclaimer: I did these tuning changes off the instruction of the man that creates these gliders.. I was apprehensive but reassured that 1.5 turns isn't much. I spent an entire season in a topless glider with the sprogs dumped and undisclosed to me by the previous owner and lived to tell the tale. I know what lowering them can do to the stability first-hand..

No comments:

Post a Comment